Mid December update, Wolf Alice, Charly Bliss and more

Ok so I think I'm getting worse at blogging rather than better. I only blog for about 2 months a year and yet I still struggle to keep it up to date. Anyways whilst I'm on musing about how terrible a friend I am here's some of the Christmas music we've been picking up on this year.

Wolf Alice - Santa Baby
I have a constant disagreement with myself over North London rockers Wolf Alice. They've done a cover of Santa Baby and they sound nothing like themselves. This could be Kylie I'd have had to listen twice to be sure if you'd said it was. Anyway it's streaming on Spotify on a collection of specially recorded singles. This is the only thing that is remotely listenable. (before anyone replies about the Rostam version of Fairtale of New York all that does is remind us how good the original is).


Charly Bliss - All I Want for Christmas is You.
Amazon now commission (I presume) a yearly list of Christmas covers for a few nice playlists they have running. One of them is Indie for the Holidays. This year that includes Charly Bliss covering Mariah. Charly Bliss gave us the awesome Ruby earlier in the year, which wouldn't have sounded out of place when grunge hit peak popularity around 1993.


Best Coast - Little Saint Nick
Also on the Amazon list was this little gem. Being a Californian indie band lends itself to a surf sound and they run with it. It's a pretty straight cover with just enough guitar to lift it out of the original. One of my favourites of this holiday season anyway.



The Boy Least Likely To - A Winter's Tale.
I'm not sure if this David Essex really translates outside of the UK but then The Boy Least Likely To could not be more British with their Twee pop. This one is a charity single for the very interesting London based House of St Barnabas a project to break the cycle of homelessness in the city. So make sure you pay for this one.


More to come as the month goes on tweet me @xmassongblog if you spot something I've missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Christmas Music: 2018's Playlist

Best Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas covers

Best Little Drummer Boy covers