Whyte Horses, MxPx and The Staves

Whyte Horses gave us Empty Words at the start of the year and it must have made some sort of an  impact cos it got to me. Now they've given us one original Christmas song and a cover of Coldest Night of the Year a Vashti Bunyan song. I prefer the cover not only to the original track here but to the original version. So I'll pop that below for you. Thanks to @Santapalooza for the heads up.  

MxPx were just one of those bands that my friends liked when I was a teenager but they have a Christmas album and damn their track Christmas Day is awesome. This year they've updated the digital version of that Christmas mini album and thrown in a new track for good measure. It's nowt special but it's ok and that's about as damning as this song can manage to make me..... Don't usually add songs I don't like here and I don't dislike this it's just it's not as good as they have been.


Then thanks to the awesome Christmas Underground  we were given the heads up on The Staves Christmas single. I'd only head them before as supporting First Aid Kit (who do a great Blue Christmas since you ask). Anyway have a listen to Home Alone Too, a lovely original Christmas song. Really sweet and tender hitting the lonely feeling so many bands go for this time of year and so many miss.



Despite the songs above this years of Christmas music has been one lacking in any real star power. I started this blog because I spent so longs looking for songs by Indie bands to put in my playlists. Now there are plenty of smaller bands making Christmas music and the twitter and blogs I've linked earlier in this post are way better at picking them out than me. If you are looking for the best Christmas music by bands you've yet to hear of I seriously recommend them. But now we have Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age with a version of Silent Night. It's a duet with Australian bluesman C W Stoneking. It starts classically and then gets up in pace and ends up being rather good. It's backed with a daownright weird retelling of a night before Christmas with Brody Dale and lots of over dubbing. Good to have a name to put on next years playlist at least.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Christmas Music: 2018's Playlist

Best Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas covers

Best Little Drummer Boy covers