Best Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas covers

Ok done a few of these now, where I compile the finest alternative versions of a particular Christmas song. This time its Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. The original from Meet Me in St Louis comes at a rather sad moment in the film. This seems to give acts a decision, either to take it on with the original sombre tone or to follow the lyrics and inject some Merry into the proceedings. I've chosen ten so i'll count them down finishing with my favourite.

10. Maricka Hackman goes the sad route injecting the longing from the film, but don't let that put you off, it's beautiful take with distorted vocals to keep it interesting


9. My Morning Jacket are no happier but their version is no less lovely. An acoustic guitar and a voice for most of this.


8 . Do you remember when Coldplay were a genuinely interesting alternative act? I am afraid I'm old enough. This is almost a crooners version, straight of a Jo Whiley live session for BBC Radio One.


7. Cat Power's version is a very similar affair just piano and her voice.


6. Bright Eyes really bring out the sadness, slow and low feeling the full trauma of the song here.


5. This is an odd one from Naomi and Goro, no idea how I came across this. It's down as being from a Bossa Nova Christmas compilation, but it's sweet and upbeat and ever so lovely.


4. Sufjan Stevens goes full school orchestra on this. No attempt at sadness really just lush Sufjan.


3. After loving Phoebe Bridgers album last year her trip into Christmas tunes took me by surprise. Not sure why cos she style suits the longing of the original version of this song perfectly.


2. You can either hate She and Him or just enjoy this traditional take. Same goes for Conan O'Brien playing guitar like.


1. It might be that as I write this I only picked up on this version yesterday but The Beths take is now my favourite version. It's something about pairing the traditional beginning complete with full string section with that awesome guitar solo. Love it.


Do you prefer another version, know of something you thing I haven't considered? Let me know in the comments or @Xmassongblog on twitter

Comments

  1. I'm quite fond of this new one from Ben Laver and POLR. Classical pianist, Hip Hop producer. Instrumental. Totally works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLte-qieZo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, love it, totally having that.

      Delete
  2. Latest new christmas songs with lyrics click for downloadingchristmas songs download

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Christmas Music: 2018's Playlist

Best Little Drummer Boy covers